What You Can Do to Help Your Psoriasis Symptoms


Psoriasis is defined as a chronic, but not contagious, skin disease characterized by thickened red spots on the skin. This is a recurring disease and may include silvery white scales varying in severity and affected areas of the body. The genital area, scalp, and nails are most likely to be affected.

Many psoriasis patients experience intense emotional bouts while they are struggling to control the disorder. This emotional trauma can cause the occurrence and remissions associated with psoriasis all year. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for psoriasis, but it is certainly possible to control and reduce symptoms. Optimal control of this condition is to maintain a healthy lifestyle and proper skin care.

Here are 6 tips to help people cope with and manage psoriasis:

  1. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you are weak and tired, psoriasis flares tend to be quite common. A balanced diet can help reduce the incidence of relapse. Limiting alcohol and red meat consumption can go a long way in maintaining skin integrity and health. Adequate water intake and at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night help keep the body optimal condition. Moderate exercise 3-4 times per week can also help. Medications have a 30% role in the management of psoriasis and the remaining 70% are lifestyle adjustments and changes.
  1. Be careful in taking medications which can aggravate psoriasis. There are certain types of medications which can precipitate and aggravate the occurrence of psoriasis. Ask your doctor for proper medication.
  2. Maintain good skin integrity by avoiding trauma to psoriasis lesions. If the skin breaks down, it can cause infection. Research shows that 50% of people suffering from psoriasis experience the “Koebner phenomenon” when skin lesions develop on the site of injury. Avoid scrubbing and scratching the scales of the lesion since it can worsen the condition.
  3. Any form of infection in the body should be treated promptly. Research studies have shown that the occurrence of infection can trigger psoriasis. Streptococcal infections, candidal infection, and HIV infection can cause the outbreak of various types of psoriasis. Dental issues, sinusitis, tonsillitis, gall bladder infection, and urinary bladder infection can cause a psoriasis outbreak among patients afflicted with the condition. Treat any disease before it worsens. Consult a dermatologist at the earliest sign of a psoriatic breakout. You can effectively manage the itchiness and appearance of lesions on the body.
  1. Proper skin care routines should be a priority. Patients suffering from psoriasis should always keep their skin moist and healthy. Dryness should be avoided to decrease the level and occurrence of itching, flaking, and scaling of the skin. Use emollients and moisturizers to avoid dryness. Sunscreens should be used 15 to 20 minutes before going outdoors and protective clothing should be worn. The sun can also trigger an outbreak of psoriasis symptoms.
  1. Learn how to live with your condition. Psoriasis is beyond cure but it can be managed properly. There are a variety of treatment options on the care and management of this skin disorder. Do all you can to maintain a healthy mind and body to decrease the severity of psoriasis.

SOURCE: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/conditions/skin-and-hair/a3611/psoriasis-info/